Friday, February 3, 2012

February 4

1994, Bob Probert vs. Marty McSorley, in one of the best fights ever, a classic marathon!





Damien Cox TORONTO STAR. Toronto Star. Toronto, Ont.: Feb 6, 1994.

Marty McSorley had cuts on his lip and near his left eye and an ugly purple welt across his forehead, and he couldn't have been happier.
The Pittsburgh defenceman had incurred the battle scars in a titanic fight with Detroit enforcer Bob Probert Friday night in Motown. It may have been the punch-up of the season.
The fight lasted 93 seconds, included a knockdown of McSorley by Probert, and ended with McSorley finishing off the fight with several straight rights that appeared to stun Probert.
"That's the closest I've come this year to playing how I want to play . . . letting guys on my team know I'm going to put my butt on the line for them," said McSorley.

McSorley joined the Penguins in the summer after being signed to a five-year, $10 million free agent sheet by St. Louis. Los Angeles matched the Blues' offer, dealt McSorley to Pittsburgh for forward Shawn McEachern and have been paying the price ever since.
McSorley admitted to being frustrated with the criticism he received earlier in the year for his play in Pittsburgh.
"What did they expect of me? It took me five years in L.A. to build things up to the point where I could stand up in the dressing room and ask any player on that team if he was putting out," said McSorley.
"I've always said I'm not going to score 100 points. But when it gets to the more physical play, and you need that extra grit, someone to take a punch in the head or get his head drilled into the glass, I'm willing to do those things."

Rumors suggest the Kings officials had been miffed by McSorley's militant union activities and role as team spokesman on grievances with management, and therefore didn't try to keep McSorley.
"I don't think Barry Melrose undervalued me, and I don't think the players did, and that's all that matters to me," said McSorley. "(The Kings) never sat down to negotiate with me, and that was disheartening because I tried to do so much for the team.
"But there's more wrong with that team that just me not being there."
It was Kings general manager Nick Beverley and team president Roy Mlakar who made the decision to dump McSorley over the objections of Melrose, and both could end up losing their jobs if the Kings don't make the playoffs.

No comments: